Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Celestial Voyager ... my modern batik challenge



This month the Island Batik Ambassadors were challenged to make a Modern Quilt.  What is a modern quilt?  For me it has a lot of negative space and uses a traditional block in a less traditional setting.  Looking at the definition from the modern quilt guild, I looked at my quilt to see if it fits.
  • Minimalism and negative space-yes
  • High contrast-yes
  • Graphic areas of solid color- batiks can read solid in my opinion
  • Use of bold colors and prints-Not so much
  • Improvisational piecing-nope
  • Modern traditionalism - yes.  The block I used is a Classic Priscilla block called Hummingbird.  
  • Alternate grid work-yes
What do you think?




It is easy to paper piece with two different sized blocks. I went through my lovely Island Batik fabrics and put together this colorway of blues, aqua, teal, and purple.  The background is Island Batik Frost, a beautiful fabric that worked so well with the colorway I chose.
After I finished piecing the blocks, I discovered the Tucker Corner Beam ruler and decided I could easily cut and sew this block with this cool ruler! Then it was time to quilt it on my Janome 7700, which I LOVE! I did ruler quilting in the blocks then a free motion filler in the background. I think this would make a darling baby quilt with fewer blocks to make it smaller....actually I have one started!


Thank you for stopping by today!  Hope you are finding time to stitch today, even if it is just for 30 minutes.

grace and peace....Sharon

p.s.  be sure to visit the other Island Batik Ambassadors for some wonderful modern quilts!


Turid from Den Syende Himmel
Stephanie from Quilt’n Party
Pamela from Pamela Quilts
Jessica from Desert Bloom Quilting
Kate from Seams Like a Dream
Jennifer from The Inquiring Quilter
Barb from Bejeweled Quilts
Jeanette from Inch Worm Fabrics
Connie from Kauffman Designs
Bernadine from Needle and Foot
Bea from Beaquilter
Cheryl from Cheryl Lynch Quilts
Maryellen from Mary Mack’s Blog
Joyce from Hearts Creations
Marlene from Kissed Quilts
Karen from The Quilt Rambler
Marian from Seam to be Sew
Laura from Slice of Pi Quilts
Linda from Inspired Layers
Carol from FunThreads Designs
Alison from Little Bunny Quilts
Jean-Sophie from Sophie Junction

Janet from Whispers of Yore

No comments:

Post a Comment