Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Summertime Pasta Sauce

One of the first things I make when my roma tomatoes turn ripe is pasta sauce or salsa.....and of course BLTs!


So here is the simple recipe I like to use.   It freezes well, so use up all those tomatoes.

4 medium onions, chopped
1 1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
12 cups chopped and peeled fresh tomatoes
3 bay leaves
4 tsp salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 cans (6 oz each) tomato paste
1/3 cup brown sugar

In a large Dutch oven, saute the onions and pepper in olive oil until onions are tender.  Add garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, oregano and basil.
Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Add tomato paste and brown sugar, simmer for 1 hour longer.
Remove bay leaves.
Ready to eat! YUM! Browned ground beef or Italian sausage can be added to the cooked sauce if desired.

I try to grow my own herbs, so I did use fresh oregano and basil.  The kitchen smelled amazing after chopping those fresh herbs!  And yes, you should peel those tomatoes....it is worth it!  I have a system where I get water boiling on the stove, have a large bowl of ice water on the counter and an empty large bowl.  Put the tomatoes in the boiling water for about a minute, then transfer to the ice cold water.  The skins should be easy to peel off now.  I leave the peelings in the water bowl and put the peeled tomatoes in the last large bowl. 



I hope you enjoy making this recipe!  I have made it for many years and never get tired of how good it tastes.  Off to pick more tomatoes....this hot weather is good for the tomatoes I guess.

grace and peace.....Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment