Tuesday, August 15, 2017

When it's done it's done!




I have not done the quilt as you go method since the 80's when I taught the lap quilting method pioneered by Georgia Bonesteel.  So it was fun to try a different method of this technique, and I found that there are many out there.  First I made 12 blocks using scraps from my Island Batik stash.  This can be a quick and easy stash buster quilt of any size you wish.  



You need:Four 4.5" squares for each 12" block.
                Four  4.5" x 2.5" rectangles for each 12" block.
                Four  6.5" x 2" rectangles for each 12" block.  






Then I layered each block with batting and a backing piece that were at least and inch larger all around.  I did not pin or spray baste and it was ready to begin quilting.  This was a perfect opportunity to practice some walking foot quilting using Superior Threads variegated...love it!



Once I had all of my blocks quilted, it was time to trim and sew all of them together.  My top connectors are 1.25" wide by 12".  My bottom connector strips are cut 1.75" wide by 12" and are pressed wrong sides together.



Layer the pieces as shown and sew with a 1/4" seam through all layers.  Flip and press, add another block to the top piece only...in this case the purple 1.25" strip.  Keep the folded piece free for now.



Once you have sewn your blocks together, you are ready to stitch the back strips down.  I chose to hand stitch just like a binding, but you can also stitch down with your machine.  
Now sew the rows together using the same steps as above.  
And Bind it!  When you are done you are done!  Now how easy was that??? Hope you try it soon and please share it with me on Instagram @punkydoodle53



 Another finished quilt for Project Linus!





And of course, Bella must add her seal of approval!




Linking up with:  Midweek Makers
                         Freemotion by the River
                         Let's BEE Social

Be sure to come back on Friday for a very fun blog hop and prizes!

No comments:

Post a Comment